Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day and the Three Things Theory

Today was one of those Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days. One of those days where everyone you know just wants to steer clear of you...for good reason. This was one of those days that started out terrible, and just got worse with every single thing that I tried to accomplish. Nothing worked.

My friend, Caroline, got a theory from a friend of hers that is.......when something bad happens, immediately think of three good things that came out of the situation. Sometimes its hard, especially if the situation is particularly bad. Nothing bad happened today that has any lasting effects, like a car wreck or being diagnosed with a disease (so, already thats one good thing! ha), but still its was just one of those days. So here are my three things:

1. I started a running program three days ago, and already, I'm hooked. It makes me feel better and clears my head. Day four is usually the point in my newly crafted exercise routines where I quit. However, because running makes me feel better, and my terrible mood could use a good distraction, I ran. Exercise plan derailment, averted.

2. I also can't move my head from side to side today because it hurts. I thought that a good long soak in my new tub could fix that situation. As I was filling my huge bathtub up with water, I started thinking about how its a little bit wasteful to use so much water when 884 million people in this world do not have access to clean water. And I just happened to be born in a country where I not only have access to clean water, but quite often take it for granted. It made me very thankful to be so privileged as to be one of the ones that does have clean water...and it sent me on an internet quest to find out how I can help a portion of the 884 million that don't.

3. It wasn't worse than it was. My bad day was only bad because of mood and minor inconveniences. It could have been so much worse...and I'm thankful that it wasn't.

The Three Things Theory...works. It focuses your attention away from the bad thing that has happened and makes us realize how good we really do have it. And I do have "it" really really good. For that, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment