Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Friends...all different kinds

I'm kind of shy, so it takes me a bit to make a new friend. I genuinely like people, but I never really know what to say. I mean, I know what I WANT to say, but the shyness keeps me from saying it. As a result, people have to practically decide they are going to befriend me no matter what and then we become friends. The upside of this is that once I make a friend, we are going to be friends for a long long time. Or at least until some sort of confrontation happens, and I am awful with confrontation and don't know what to say, and then sometimes friends drift apart. I hate that part.

But, I would do just about anything for my friends and I have met some friends along the way that would do anything for me. You have your childhood friends that know your whole story... from your first day of kindergarten to prom and some in between. These are friends that you may not talk to often, but when you do you just pick up where you left off. If you're really lucky, you still get to talk to your childhood best friend. Mandy and I never got into any trouble together. We never drank or cussed or snuck out of the house or got a traffic ticket. We were both terrified of our parents. We knew if we did anything terrible we would probably still be locked in our rooms to this day.

Then you have your friends that you don't really do anything with...but they always check in with you to make sure you're ok. I have a couple of friends in particular that always email or text or call just to make sure I'm still going. Somedays when you're not going at all, it is so encouraging just to know that somebody "sees" you and cares about you.

I also have some friends that I made through my small group. I see them every Tuesday night and know that no matter what, they will pray for me if I ask them to. And I will pray for them. And I have friends that I met through various church activities. These are some of the most compassionate caring friends I have. And we have a bond because we have shared experiences that mesh your lives together.

Then I have my "hanging out" friends. I love these friends. You know who you are.

We were not meant to be alone. My friends have gotten me through some pretty tough times. Today, I am so thankful for friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment