Monday, September 14, 2009

The funk

A lot of really great things happened to me today. I was high on life, singing in the rain, too cool for school (what other dorky metaphors for happiness can I think of?). I was even smugly thinking that I had IT all figured out. Need any life advice? Just come and ask me....when a funk settled over my mood. It was unexplicable. Nothing happened to make me feel this way, but, all of a sudden, nothing seemed right. It was in that moment that I realized that I am thankful for those humbling moments of funk for several reasons. 1) I am really analytical and I love a good lesson. In the gaps between the highs, there are lows, and in the lows there are lessons. I can only learn the lessons when I am vulnerable enough to realize I don't already know it all. 2) Only in the low times can I REALLY appreciate all of the good things that happen. Sure we're thankful in the good times, but in the bad times you realize how good your life really is (or was). 3) Its the lows that make us human. Who likes someone whose life is perfect every moment? Be honest...

So today, even when I thought I was going to be thankful for all of the really good things, its actually the funk that I am most thankful for...which makes me really happy. Ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment